Monday, November 2, 2015

Essential Phrases

An important aspect to emailing companies is grammar. This isn't intended to be a post that summarizes your English class, but does draw on some basic principles of writing.

Now, didn't those few sentences sound authoritative? That's because I used more precise words. Also, I did not write how I talk. This is a key concept. Never, ever write like you are having a casual conversation with your mom! EVER!

This means, don't write this:
"Hey Cool Company, Inc. I wanted to know if you would be super cool and send me some free stuff? That would be super awesome!"
     -This style is way to casual. If you are sending an email to a super cool brand, like Beats, then maybe lay off the professional approach. Still, do NOT sound pushy, expecting, spoiled, etc.)

"Good morrow to you, Cool Company Incorporated, I wast wondering if 't be true thee could sendeth me free stuff? I would greatly appreciate t. Thank thee!"
     -This style is Shakespeare, you doofus! No one talks like that. Point is, don't over due the professional talk because it makes your selfish intentions incredibly obvious.

...but like this:
"Dear Cool Company, Inc. I would like to know if it's possible for your company to send me free stuff? I would greatly appreciate it."
     -This style uses everyday language correctly and more precisely, and is a lot more easier then cracking out the Thesaurus to sound more professional.

So, now that we got past the tone, let's look at some essential phrases.

Opening Sentences
  • Dear ...,
  • Hello ...!
  • My name is...
  • I enjoy your...
  • I think your... is wonderful!
Body Sentences (The stuff in the middle that elaborates your point)
  • Your company is very generous/amazing/wonderful/impressive
  • Your ... is very useful
  • I used ... the other day (pick anytime in the past)
Conclusion
  • Thank you for your time
  • (Regardless,) Thank you in advance
  • I [(would) greatly] appreciate it/this/that
  • Thank You
In short, sound educated and respectful when emailing companies. Be polite no matter the outcome!

That's it for this week. Next week, I will teach you about the SASE method.

No comments:

Post a Comment